Thursday, August 11, 2011

Catch Up

So I have had this week off for vacation and Dan is starting med school so he is busy in orientation so my sister requested I catch up on my blog. So this post will be a long catch up for what has happened in our lives this past year. So since we graduated college.
Here is a basic overview:
After graduation we took some time off before starting jobs. So we visited Dan's family in Seattle and then took a nice long 3 week backpacking tour of Europe. We went back to Dan's mission and went through Spain, France and Italy. (Pictures to come).
Then I started my job at Dow Chemical as an engineer last June. Which so far my job is great, I love my job and the people I work with.
My parents came to visit us in August '10, and Dan got a job right before school started as a high school physics teacher. (He liked the teaching, but he commuted 1.5 hours everyday)
Then we started to get involved in the community, both Dan and I coached soccer so that left our weeknights busy with practice and weekends full with games. I was called to the Young women presidency and Dan was called to Elder's quorum presidency. Our callings, community involvement and jobs kept us really busy. We also had great friends here Willford's and Matthew's who are close in age to us and we would spend lots of time hanging out with them.

In September '10 Dan's cousin got married in Washington D.C., and we went to support her. So we took the weekend to enjoy her wedding and see some of the sights.

October and November we celebrated Thanksgiving (Canadian and US) with lots of friends. Kala, Mike and Hunter came to join us for U.S Thanksgiving. And we had an early Christmas with them!

December we were ready to take a break (since when you work full time there is a lot less vacation!!) We went to Seattle for Christmas and was able to spend 2 weeks with Dan's family. I was also lucky to spend time with one of my best friends Janie Sandberg. (college roommate) Janie now lives only a couple minutes from Dan's grandparents.

January and February we started our normal lives again. We started up a pick up soccer game on Saturdays. Our soccer games grew from 4 people to now we have 15-20 people come every Saturday! we love playing soccer. Unfortunately, we missed the snow and was not able to get time off or money to go on a ski trip up in Utah.

March - Came March break or sping break as you may call it. My Mum, Mike and Dan all had the same scheduled break. So my parents, my sister and her family all came to spend the week with me because I still had to work! Oh well. We enjoyed time at the beach, and went to Dallas for a hockey game.

April- We had a nice visit from Mark and Katrina. Katrina graduate BYU and they came for a week's visit. We went to NASA, galveston and had lots of fun together.

June- Dan's Dad came to visit, we took him to NASA and Kemah. Dan was glad to be finished school! We enjoyed the time off and fixed up our car. We had a party for Dan's birthday. My friend Yesenia was married at the Houston temple.

July - I got to go home to Ottawa!! Niall returned from his mission and we went to see the whole family. We spend lots of time together and enjoyed Canada Day, strawberry picking, hiking, and we went camping in upstate New York and went to the Hill Cumorah Pageant.
The month ended with us doing lots of stuff in Houston before we took off to Kirksville.

Aug- Which is almost all caught up. We packed up our apartment and drove to Kirksville, Missouri. Dan is starting MedSchool at A.T. Still University studying to be a Doctor of Osteopathy. I am so proud of him. And he is excited to get started on school and his career.

So actually, I will be keeping my Dow job in Houston until December and Dan will be doing school in Kirksville. So, yes we will be apart for a while. But I will visit Dan when I can and we always have Skype!

So, we had lots of fun in Houston, TX. And loved having visitors. So if you ever want to come by Kirksville, Missouri give us a call. But it is not so much in the middle of nowhere, yes it is a small town. We are only 2 hours from Nauvoo, IL and that is actually our stake and temple disctric! Sweet!

No comments: